Wednesday, August 4, 2010

7.24.2010

Last night we had a great devotional. It was more like a full sermon, but it's okay. The guy went through the Matthew 14 story of Jesus feeding the 5000 (probably closer to 15,000 when you add in the women and children) and Peter walking on water. He was talking about the lack of faith and the amount of doubt that the disciples (us) had even after all of those miracle. Even in spite of ourselves, Jesus still calls us to 'come'. The guy doing the devo asked the question 'What is God calling you to?' whether it is from moving to Haiti and selling everything to being patient and learning how to wait.

God is calling me to be the best wife that I can be. Not for my glory and not for Ryan's benefit, but because I want people to see God's love through the way I love and honor my husband. I don't know exactly what the 'best' looks like, but I will be trying every day to strive to love him more and better than I loved him the day before.

Today we went to the market and the waterfall. I think in total it was about 6 hours that we were out walking. Adam had his GPS with him and it calculated that we hiked about 10 miles. The market was crazy. It must have been because it was Saturday - just like the swap meets :)/ It just reminds me of how little people actually need. I mean there were so many people selling so much stuff, but I didn't really see anything buying anything. We went mostly for the culture and the experience. The market doesn't sell anything Haitian made - it is actually mostly stuff that they have gotten from friends, family, etc that they are trying to sell. Most stuff was junk, which makes it all the worse, to see how bad it really is here. The poorest of the poor - literally.

The hike to the waterfall was awfully long, but so beautiful. Not only was the scenery amazing, but it was wonderful to say hello to all of the Haitians and see their faces light up - especially the older women. I hope they saw Jesus' face in mine because I definitely saw His in theirs.

With all the rain that has been falling these past few days, the river was raging. It was much higher (the staff said) and running faster because of all the extra water. They said that the waterfall was 10X as strong as they had seen it before because of the extra water. It was quite the site to see. With all of the poverty and pain of this world around Northwest Haiti, God still send His beauty (whether it is in the form of newborn goats, Haitian children, Gran Moun, or water falling out of rocks).

I tried my first canip today (sure that isn't the way to spell it). The way I would explain it is a grape inside of a hard coating that has a large pit inside. You crack the skin (and throw it on the ground of course) and suck on the eyeball type fruit. You scrap the fruit away from the large pit in the middle. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment