Wednesday, August 4, 2010

7.28.2010

My hands hurt today! I woke up and checked out my blister on my right hand (it had ripped open and the skin was hanging off so I had Kristina cut it off with fingernail clippers). It looks pretty nasty. The wound was just open, so it is now crusty and dark in color. I loaded up the pain reducing Neosporan and put a bandage on. I'm not really sure what we are doing on the Port au Paix campus today, but hopefully it is something I can do with my left hand and not too labor intensive.

I am really going to need to catch up on sleep when I get home. I don't know if I get more than 3 or 4 hours a night. It seems like all I do is lay in the saggy bed and sweat for hours (not too enjoyable). The snoring all around us doesn't help to fall asleep either. Good thing I am still unemployed and can sleep in for a while.

It seems as though the work started awfully early this morning. When I was laying in bed around 5am the trucks on campus were driving all around (loudly) by our dorm. Not sure why today had an earlier start.

Brenda gave her devo last night. She read a passage from 1 John - Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God, but if we love one another, God lives in us and His love is made complete in us (4:11-12). I hope that when people look at me they see love and therefore they see God. I want to exude love. I want to sweat love. I want to breath love. I want to be love. Whether or not I feel like it. Whether or not it is easy.

The rain really came down last night. I don't think it rained for that long, but when it does rain, it really came down hard! The sky looks gray again this morning. We have an hour truck ride each way, so hopefully it just blows over or it isn't really rain in the clouds.

My hands are awfully shaking today. I know know if it is from the food situation or from the labor we were doing yesterday and my hands are just tired. Who knows, hopefully it just goes away soon :).

This morning's devo was on James 1. I really liked verse 27 because it seems to go with what we are doing here quite well: Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

This morning we went over to the Port au Paix campus. The campus is awesome. We saw the OTB kitchen - AMAZING! All we need is the generator. There is even food on the shelves, ready to go. It is going to be spectacular when it is all up and running.

This afternoon we went with the Tomoka group to the Bible college to help (or more just watch) their VBS. There were probably 50-75 kids. I was telling Kristina that I wanted to ask the staff that went with us if it was a normal one, or more mellow or hyper (just to get an idea of how the kids normally react to it all).

I took a bunch of pictures and video while on the back of the truck today. I wanted to be able to accurately portray the area, hopefully everyone will be able to get the idea from them all.

So the food situation did not get any better this evening - some sort of canned chicken and dumplings which means another protein bar for me. I think I am down to about 5 or 6 more. Of course, I love helping out and doing God's work, but Miami and food cannot come soon enough.

I miss Ryan so much. I think what makes it 10 times harder is seeing Kristina and Adam being all love-y and touchy. I don't expect them not to be married for the 2 weeks or anything like that, but it just makes it so much harder to see what I am missing. I guess I am just jealous that my hubby is 5,000 miles away... But at least we have the rest of our lives to be together!

Tomorrow is another chore day. I hope I have a great attitude about it (rather than being a negative Nancy - seeing as the other HUGE group could do them the whole time they are here and no one would have to even do them a second time) - but we are called to be servants, right? I have to make sure to keep reminding myself that while I'm doing them.

We already have to give our checked bags to them tomorrow night. It seems super early (since they mentioned it today - Wednesday, and we aren't leaving till Saturday). The reason is because they have to get all of our luggage to Port au Prince before we get there. The small planes can't take our stuff and us (they have weight restrictions), so they have to drive it there and give them all day Friday to get it there. Thankfully I don't have anything to check, but I think it will give me an excuse to re-pack everything better tomorrow so that it fits well and neat (even if it smells like BUTT).

One thing I was pleasantly surprised about with Haiti was the small. I was expecting it to be so much worse (especially with my strong sniffer and bad gag reflex). The only place I thought it was close to unbearable was at the market where they were selling the dead fish, other than that it has been fin (I mean better than what you would expect the poorest of the poor areas to smell like).

Another praise - the bugs gave mostly stayed away from me. I have had a few bites, but nothing like what I was preparing myself for. Bugs seems to love me, so I was really worried. I guess loading on all of these chemicals 24 hours a day has a few benefits (even if it isn't the health of my skin being one of them :) ).

No comments:

Post a Comment