Wednesday, August 4, 2010

7.26.2010

Last night no one seemed to want to let everyone sleep. We had people up being loud forever, people waking up to leave at 3:30am with head lamps on, everyone waking up at 5:30am because it is light out (maybe).

This morning Silver woke up with his eye swollen shut because of a stye. He said that it has been on his eye for the past 9-10 months, but nothing had happened with it. He woke up around 2am to his eye puffy and unable to open. He woe up a medical staff member and they said that it was just the stye. Maybe it was the heat that made it swell. Whatever it is, it looks painful, so hopefully the swelling goes down and he is still able to participate in everything that we are going to do.

This morning we went to the House of Hope. It is an orphanage half way between Port au Paix and St. Louis. They don't get a lot of Americans there, so it was fun to get a chance to hang out, color, and blow bubbles with the kids. Originally it was a TB kids hospital, then it turned into just a hospital, and then parents just started dropping off their kids and not picking them up, so hence the orphanage. The kids there were super happy to see us. There are quite a few kids there that were malnourished, but because of their lives before the orphanage. They are on the road to recovery now.

We were supposed to do a sports camp this afternoon. We brought soccer balls with us, so a soccer field is all we needed. The problem was that there was a community championship going on at the high school field (that someone on campus had set up) and the US military is using the other field for their helicopter landing pad. Instead of the sports camp this afternoon, we are going to do it tomorrow morning.

So to fill our time... we counted pills. Yep, we sorts a bag of 25,000 ibuprofen into small bags of 14 (so that the pharmacy can use them a individual prescriptions). We only made it through about 300 little bags (so 300x14=4200 pills, no even a dent, but at least we were doing work that needed to be done, rather than just playing cards or wasting time. :) We will do whatever needs to be done.

Today is also our cleaning day. We have dishes at every meal and cleaning detail (which means bathroom). I did dishes at both breakfast and lunch, so I am hoping that I will be able to get out of dinner duty. We had morning devos - so Andrew was able to get up this morning and give a little 5 minute talk. We have to do it all again on Thursday too. It is strange that they treat all groups the same, no matter the size. For example, the group that came in yesterday is 49 people and we have the same amount of cleaning days and them and we are only 7 people.

I totally forgot to mention, but Andrew has been eating canned fish - gross! He brought lump crab, white crab, and pink salmon. I don't eat it, so I guess I didn't realize that they sold it, but it is in like large soup cans of meat. He said it is because of the protein in it, but I have to say I think it is pretty gross.

Tomorrow night we have evening devos and worship. Brenda has to give the devo, but I think we are all going to get up and do the worship. It should be interesting. Maybe we will have to record it, hehe. None of us play the guitar, but Andrew plays the drums. Maybe we will just sing to the drums.

I have to say I have had a pretty poor attitude towards some of our group the last day or so. I don't know if it is just my lack of patience or what. Some people never seem to be where they should be. We were joking that we should change the name of our group to "Where's Andrew?". I know that people don't mean to run away, but it is just getting on my nerves. I think it is just my personality though. I hate wasting time and I think if people aren't where they should be wen they should be that it is very disrespectful. Hopefully my attitude will change or their actions (but I don't think the later will work and I'd rather take the responsibility to make a change than rely on someone else, especially it they don't know that it is annoying).

The generators have been ordered - whoo hoo!! Grand just told us that they had been ordered and paid for!! They have to be shipped to Kentucky for the container (which only ships once a month) and then they can be on their way! How exciting that the super kitchen will be up and running soon! :) :) :)

So while we were doing dished Alex came up to us and asked if we could be willing to do worship tonight (apparently the group that was scheduled wasn't on campus). Of course we said that we would. The unfortunate thing is that A. we have not much musical talent and B. we sang a song that no one knew (the staff picked the song out). I mean not only had I never heard it before (but got up to sing it) the crowd didn't know it so everyone was just standing and listening to our bad singing. Then the staff members got up and sang a song (because they wanted to hear it). Janiel (the head guy) came out of his office and made fun of the singing, which was quite rude. He thought that it was the staff the whole time, and I am sure he meant it in a joking way, but it hurt since we were just stepping in to help and were criticized for it.

Maybe today was just a funky day. I felt like the group was breaking off into cliches a little bit. Some of the team knew each other beforehand, so it is easier for them to hang out, and then two of them are marries. I sort of feel on the out skirts of the group. Again, maybe it is just me missing my husband and comfort and whatnot or maybe it is just a weird day. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

It hasn't rained in 2 days now, which is normal for Haiti, but not normal for us in Haiti :) since it has rained every day since we arrived.

Tomorrow is going to be a miss-mash of things to do. In the morning we are going to go to the high school to play soccer with the younger kids. The rest of the day we are supposed to be doing 'campus construction'. Melonnie said that there are lots of small jobs that thy need done, so that's what we are going to do :)

Last night was the worst night of sleep I've had so far. I think it might be because of the rain. It started to ran at about 11:30 or so. The problem wasn't the noise from the rain, but the lights and commotion from the ones that were sleeping outside coming inside. I think it was because it was a new group and they weren't used to the rain here. You can sleep when you're dead I guess... Hopefully I'm not dead because of the lack of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment