Wednesday, August 4, 2010

7.25.2010

Today is a day of rest. We have nothing scheduled other than church. I was expecting it to be so excruciating. Kristina and Adam had talked it up like it was a 5 hour ordeal in the sweaty, hot heat. It was pretty hot (I think tight now it is about 93 degrees in the shade), but there was a nice breeze that was coming in off the water. Also, the one that did the majority of the teaching was American, so it was in English and then translated into Creole (so we actually could understand some of it - rather than just smiling and nodding).

It is nice to have a day 'off'. I know that the majority of the things we have done has been less ministry and more culture, but it is still nice not to have anything scheduled. I think I will try and talk Ryan into picking back up the Sabbath. It was nice to have Melonnie explain that it is not only for us, but to show the Haitians that we take a day off for the Lord.

So far today I have only had 2 bars to eat. For breakfast we had some salty grits (that we had before and couldn't eat them then either). For lunch we had some Chef Boyardee beef ravioli. Everyone else really seemed to like it. Hopefully we will be able to have something a little more vegetarian friendly options for dinner (like pasta with no sauce or rice and beans).

I tried to take a nap but there is no breeze in the dorms and all I was doing was laying miserably in my sweat (yummy).

I have to say, on this trip there have been a lot of times that I have been discouraged. It seems like some people are always busting into group prayer (out loud). At times I think that if someone was shot or having a heart attach that they would pray for them instead of calling 911. It has made me feel like my faith is less than theirs, or not good enough, etc. I know that it is just the devil trying to cause me to doubt myself, but I really don't like it. I should be thankful that they are prayer warriors, since it does not seem to be one of my gifts, but instead of thanksgiving I find myself jealous, envious, and sometimes even annoyed.

A few teams left today (I think about 30 or 35 people), but a new group just rolled in of 49! We barely had room before, so we will be tightly squeezed tonight. A few more teams leave tomorrow, so hopefully it will be back down to a normal capacity again.

Tomorrow we are supposed to be going to the House of Hope and running a sports camp.

We took a Creole class, so I thought I'd copy down the words we learned.

a lot - ampil
adult (elderly) - gran moun
baby - bebe
beautiful - bel
Bible (The Bible) - bib (La bib)
boy - ti gason
brother - fre
candy - siret
cat - chat
car (truck, etc) - machin
chicken - poul
child - ti moun
Christian - kretyen
church - legliz
clean up - netwaye
clinic - klinik
come - vini
daughter - petit fi
disease (sickness) - maladi
dog - chen
dollar - dola
donkey - bourik
don't - pa
drink - bwason
everyone - tout moun
everything - tout bagay
excuse me - eskizem
faith - lafwa
family - fanmy
female (woman) - femel
finish (ed) - fini
food (eat) - manje
friend - zanmi
girl - ti fi
go (go away) - ale
goat - kabrit
God - Bondye
good - bon
goodbye - babay
happy - kontan
he/she/it - li
hello - alo
here - la
house - kay
how - kijan or koman or kouman
hungry - grangou
husband - mari
I - mwen
Jesus - Jezu
juice - ji
later - pita
love - renmen
male - mal
married - marye
mine - pa mwen an
miss - chonje (sonje)
money - lajan
need - bezwen
no- non
not (yet) - poko
now - konnya
party - fet
people (person) - moun
photograph - fotograf (foto)
pig - kochon
please - souple or silvouple
pray - priye
remember - sonje
sad - tris
satan - satan
say - di
share - separe or pataje
silence - silans
sing - chante
sister - se
sit - chita
soccer - foutbol
son - pitit gason
sorry - regret
speak - pale
stop - rete
swim - naje
thank you - mesi
thirsty - swaf
tired - fatige
together - ansanm
tomorrow - demen
understand - konprann
wait - tann
want - vle
water - dlo
we/us - nou
what - ki sa
when - ki le
where - ki kote
who - ki moun
with - avek
wife - madanm
yes - wi
you - ou

good morning - bonjou
good afternoon - bonswa
good night - bonmwit
do you remember me - eske ou sonje mwen
seek God - cheche Bondye
Jesus loves you - Jezi renmen ou
very well, thank you - tre bien, mesi
thank you - mesi
you're welcome - padekwa
what is your name - koman ou rele
my name is - mwen rele
how are you - koman ou ye
how old are you - ki laj ou
goodbye, I will see you later - babay, m'a we ou pita
I'm working - mwen ap travay
give me that - ban mwen sa (banm'sa)
wait a minute - tann yon minit
stay here - rete la
are you thirsty - eske ou swaf
are you hungry - eske ou grangou
I'm sorry - mwen regret
God bless you - Bondye beni ou
I don't understand - mwen pa konprann
where is your house - ki kote la kay ou
whats up - sak pase
not much - n'ap boule

I won Rummy 5000 this afternoon. Silver taught us to play while the new teams were getting their orientation and tours. It was fun and I'm glad that won :).

No comments:

Post a Comment