Wednesday, August 4, 2010

7.30.2010

Another bad night of sleeping down. I am so excited for my firm and COLD bed when we get back. I don't think there has been a night that I haven't felt like I was laying in a pool of my own sweat - yuck!

I get to see my husband tomorrow night - YAY! I'm even pumped to call him when we get into Miami and I hate the phone :). It's like the longest we have gone without speaking since we've been married. I know I was back in Michigan visiting my family for 2 weeks, but I could at least hear his voice on the phone and send emails (and we were constantly communicating because we were doing all of the condo stuff).

Today we are doing more hut-to-huts. After that we have meals on feet. The mission has a nutrition program for the community, but some folks are unable to make it down (because of their age, ailments, etc), so what meals on feet is, we take the meals to the people that aren't able to make it down. We get to bring food to them in their homes. I'm excited to see how we are received (if the people are used to it, still excited and appreciative, etc). It will be nice to see another area of the community as well.

Last night the staff had a water balloon fight with the marines. It was fun to watch but a few of the balloons hit me, so I had to hope that my skirt dried out for this morning (it was the last clean one I had).

We found out that we are leaving for the airport tomorrow morning at 4am. That should be interesting. No only will it be early, but it will be DARK. And we ride in the back of trucks with no security, just holding on to the edge :). It is scary enough in the sunlight. But life is all about the adventures, right?

The only thing that I haven't done that I was looking forward to was riding on a moto. We thought that because we are a smaller group we may be able to, but once you add in security, translators, and staff members, the truck is the only way we can really go. It's okay, I'll have a scooter of my own soon enough (or so I hope).

I don't think I wrote about it yet, so I didn't want to forget the trucks that we ride in are called 'tap taps'. The reason is because they are similar to taxis, but you TAP on the side of the truck when you are ready to get off (since there are so many people that ride in the back, they couldn't just tell the driver where they are going ahead of time).

I thought the period thing was just a one day sort of thing, but it doesn't seem to be the case - THE FUN - especially when you weren't expecting it or planning on it.

This morning we did hut-to-hut evangelism again. We decided to scale the mountain again. On the way up we stopped at the hotel. We asked the 2 women that were working if we could look around. They showed us some of the rooms and then we hung out with them. They were so thankful because they said that on one ever really stops to talk with them (they just get a tour and leave). We prayed with them and then just chatted (they were asking if we were married, had kids, etc.

On the way back down the mountain, some of the kids ran off the goat path. There was a large mango tree, so some of them started throwing rocks to try and rock them down. Low and behold, one of the rocks smoked a kid in the head. He was bleeding all over so Adam picked him up and we all booked it down the mountain. Josh called Melonnie to let her know to get one of the medical staff ready. Thankfully he didn't need stitches (we think the rock hit him flat side, rather than sharp side) - but head wounds bleed a lot anyway.

This afternoon we have some down time until meals on feet (although we changed the name to 'meals on heels' so that t rhymes). We played cards a little. The rest of the time we will use to relax, pack, journal, read, etc.

I miss Ryan. I am so excited to see him tomorrow. I hope that he has a great time while his dad was out visiting. I also hope that he had some days of great surf so that he doesn't miss me too much :). It is almost our 2 year anniversary. It seems like the last 2 years have really flown by. I'm so lucky to have married my best friend!

'I'm Hungry' could be one of my themes for the week. We had more meat for lunch, which means another bar for me. Only one more meal here on campus. Hopefully we will make the first flight out of Port au Paix tomorrow so that we will be in the air conditioned airport longer than the open-air HOT one. We probably won't get another meal after tonight until we get into Miami tomorrow (not sure what time that it), so hopefully dinner tonight has something I can eat (seeing as I am down to 4 more bars and some trail mix of raisins and nuts).

I lost my watch today. Well, not lost it, but a kid took it. He was one of the security guys that was with it. While we were at the hotel chatting with the women he was scratching at the film that the bug spray had left on the face. He asked to see it (which I took as he was going to try and clean it for me) and then he kept it. At least it was at the end of the trip (and I was planning on leaving it tomorrow anyway).

No comments:

Post a Comment