Wednesday, August 4, 2010

7.29.2010

Last night was the best night of sleep I have had so far while I've been here. It's funny because Kristina rolled over this morning and asked how I slept and she said the same thing. Maybe it was cooler last night so we slept better. Whatever the reason - praise God!

So for some messed up reason I seem to be starting my period. Not strong, but all I know is that I don't appreciate it! Hopefully it is just a one day thing.

I walked by the kitchen this morning and saw them rolling a very large cinnamon roll (or at least that is what it looked like). I also saw paper plates, which means less dishes - I hope!! The less dishes the less time it will take for us to wash them :).

This morning we went hut-to-hut. Josh was the staffer that we went with. It was super awesome because he left us go with him to a voodoo priest/ witch doctor's house. They have been friends for the last 10 years. Josh normally doesn't take groups there, so it was really awesome. The man was very nice to welcome us into his home. Josh said he was probably drunk because he kept mumbling on and on. He has 12 kids, and only 1 girl. The daughter was sitting on my chair with me while we were visiting. Josh had been visiting him for 10 years and just the time before he asked Josh for a Bible. When we sat down we asked him what he had found interesting from what he read. He had us read Matthew 4 about the temptation of Christ. It was very ironic that he found it interesting that Jesus wouldn't bow to Satan even after he offered everything to Him. I thought it was interesting because he kept saying that he was only a voodoo priest to provide for his family. He didn't want to be a thief, he wanted to provide an honest living for his family. He kept saying that he knew voodoo was wrong and that he knew one day God would judge him, but that it is all he can do to provide for his family. He has us go in his voodoo temple. There were human skulls on the floor and lots of things hanging from the ceiling (sacrifices like bones from animals and food offerings). He said that he wanted to show us to that it was not a secret what he did (although he didn't answer a lot of the questions we had asked him).

I think what was most heart wrenching was the fact that he said he didn't think anyone cared for them up on the hill. We were climbing up goat paths in the hills, so it is very desolate and not well traveled. He said that people didn't love them or pray for them. I felt like I got a glimpse of God's heart for others and the pain that He feels when people don't know Him. I hope that after we left he know that at least we would pray for him and love him and his family.

After we left their home we decided to hike further up the mountain (and actually went to the top). We saw a hut and asked Josh if we could go speak with them. The woman opened up her home to us. She invited us in and told us a little about her family. She said that it has been 21 YEARS since they have any 'blancs' up to visit. Stories like that just make you want to hike the hills daily just to meet with people. It was quite a hike for use, but I would rather make it than force them to come down the hill if they wanted community - meet people where they are at!

While we were doing dishes this morning I was telling Adam and Kristina about my lack of enthusiasm for hut-to-huts (I find it more effective to have a relationship with the people first). I was so thankful that before we went Josh was explaining that we are just there to ask them about their lives, not forcing the gospel down their throats..

This afternoon we baked cookies and then took them to the Miriam Center. When we first went down most of them were sleeping, but they started waking up when they smelled the cookies. They got chocolate all over, but they really seemed to love them. After we fed them all, we took the high functioning kids into their play room and started finger painting. The few that were able to do it really enjoyed themselves and were very happy with the paintings that they created.

The market day was in the cafe area this afternoon. I bought a wooden platter with what looks like a carrot on it. It may be a yam or some other root type thing :) Carrot ranchers!!

Oh my goodness. Tonight after devos we had so much fun. Brenda had brought glow sticks with her. We have been going on the roof in the evenings because it is cooler up there and there is normally a breeze. Tonight we decided to have a glow stick rave. We danced around with the glow sticks and had so much fun. We got some of it on video, so hopefully when we exchange pictures we will be able to see it. I'm sure we looked ridiculous, but man was it fun!

Tonight was spaghetti again. We were all so excited. The cheese bread/ biscuit things are so good. I think I had about 5 or 6. I know when I get home I won't be able to eat much ride or carbs in general since I have been overrun with protein bars and carbs since landing here. I can't wait for yummy food - like Breakwater pizza or Ceja's quesadilla.

It will also be nice not to have to load on the bug spray and sun screen 24-7. I'd love to let my skin breath for more than the 5 minutes I am air drying after the shower before I load up the sprays again :).

Before I forget, the guys thing I remind them of the girl from Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. I need to watch it again to see if I should take it as a compliment or not :).

No comments:

Post a Comment